Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Reflect on a moment (or event, or person, or..?) in your life that has played a significant role in shaping who you are today

The next thing I knew, I was sitting next to the one I loved in the ICU.  His eyes were shut and his hair was still perfectly combed, although it seemed he was hooked up to every possible machine. We all prayed for a miracle. I pleaded, “Just open your eyes buddy. You can do it. Come on Mae. You can’t leave us yet.” Unfortunately, there was no miracle. On July 12, 2014, I said goodbye to Mason. I held his hand, stroked his hair, gave him one last kiss on his forehead and told him that I would always love him.

I had known Mason since pre-school.  As we aged, we became closer and eventually fell in love. My life revolved around Mason. What I wore, what I was doing, everything I did was always an attempt to impress him. We had so much in common. Our relationship was going perfectly, until I lost him.

In the months that followed, I could not stop thinking about him and how much I missed him. My life had changed and I didn’t know how to deal with it. I recall one morning last fall after about three months had passed, my alarm clock went off at its usual time, 6:30am. I went to my closet to pick out an outfit, but nothing seemed to look right. One outfit after another I tried on, ripped off and threw on the ground. There were just too many memories with Mason attached to them. Grief overwhelmed me. I stormed around, slammed doors, and screamed like a child. I dove back into my bed, bit into my pillow and cried, thinking I had the worst life. My room was a complete disaster, and so was I. After a few hours had passed, I finally regrouped and realized that I couldn’t do this to myself any longer; just sitting in bed and crying all day wouldn’t bring Mason back. At that moment, I decided I would make a change. I needed to find ways to make myself happy and get back on a productive path.

A year later, I am sitting in the front of my AP Statistics class with my notebook out and a pencil in my hand, ready to learn. I look down at the “Mason” bracelet on my wrist, and remind myself that I can do this. I am no longer able rely on Mason, but he inspires me to be determined and to work hard to achieve my goals. I am a stronger person today, mentally, emotionally and academically. More resilient and self-reliant, I am now in control of my own destiny. I look forward to college and continuing my transition to adulthood.

2 comments:

  1. Hard times help you appreciate life more. I know this incident will forever be with you, but as time goes on it will get easier. You will accomplish great things in life Kenzie French and he is always here with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard times help you appreciate life more. I know this incident will forever be with you, but as time goes on it will get easier. You will accomplish great things in life Kenzie French and he is always here with you!

    ReplyDelete